Find The Best
Air Conditioner Repair Service Near Me
Instantly Locate Pros Already Working In Your Neighborhood
- Air Conditioner Repair
Same Day Service, Future Service, Estimates, and Installations
Air Conditioner Repair
Costs to Repair or Maintain AC or HVAC
AC Repair Costs
If you don’t get your unit regularly maintained or if your AC is a couple of years old, chances are that you may need to get it fixed when it starts to malfunction.
An average homeowner in the U.S. would spend around $225 for an AC repair, which would also include rebooting the system, unclogging the filter and cleaning the unit.
However, note that the cost to fix an AC will still vary. This depends on the type of repair done, the type of your AC unit, if there were replacements needed, labor and if you had an emergency AC repair.
AC Repair Cost by Unit Type
Window Type AC
Usual issue: compressor failure
Cost to repair: $50 to $125
Usual issue: clogged drain
Cost to repair: $100 to $250
Central Air or HVAC
Usual issues: drain lines, faulty thermostat, refrigerant leaks or charges
Cost to repair: $75 to $500
Usual issues: belt, pads or pump replacements
Cost to repair: $65 to $500
Ductless Mini-Split AC
Usual issues: problem with the air handling unit
Cost to repair: $750 to $900
Cost to Repair AC Parts
|Clogged Air Filter||$75 to $195|
|Clogged AC Drain||$100 to $150|
|Blower||$100 to $150|
|Circuit Board||$100 to $150|
|Cleaning of Outdoor Unit||$100 to $300|
|Expansion Valve||$150 to $200|
|Capacitor||$200 to $250|
|Refrigerant Recharge||$125 to $300|
|Freon Leak||$200 to $1,500|
|Coil Leak||$250 to $2,000|
|Fan Motor||$450 to $650|
|Compressor||$600 to $1,200|
Cost of AC Parts Replacement
|Fuse||$15 to $300|
|Relay||$20 to $300|
|Thermostat||$50 to $450|
|Circuit Board||$100 to $500|
|Capacitor||$100 to $300|
|Condensate Pump||$100 to $160|
|Fan Motor||$200 to $675|
|Blower||$150 to $600|
|Evaporator Coil||$250 to $2,000|
|Expansion Valve||$250 to $450|
|Compressor||$1,000 to $2,500|
Cost of AC Repair Per Hour
Most technicians would charge a basic fee that runs around $80 to $300 so you can get your AC unit diagnosed. This amount will be followed by additional fees on labor and parts that need to be replaced.
For an hourly wage, you would be charged anywhere from $65 to $125 per hour.
Cost of Emergency AC Repair
If using your AC is essential and you need to have it repaired right away, some HVAC companies do offer emergency repair services. However, expect that you will be charged extra for an emergency visit. This type of repair would usually start at $300 and would increase depending on the repair and parts needed.
HVAC Repair Costs
Note that the rates above are for AC or cooling system repairs. If you own an HVAC unit, these are the costs to repair your furnace or replace parts of your heating system.
|Blower Motor Repair||$150|
|Blower Motor Replacement||$450|
|Ignitor Replacement||$300 to $400|
|Flame Sensor Repair||$80|
|Flame Sensor Replacement||$250|
|Heat Exchanger Repair||$100|
|Heat Exchanger Replacement||$500 to $1,200|
|Pressure Sensor/ Circuit Board Repair||$50|
|Pressure Sensor/ Circuit Board Replacement||$350|
|Gas Valve Replacement||$150|
|Smart Valve Replacement||$750|
|Draft Inducer Replacement||$150 to $450|
AC or HVAC Maintenance Cost
Your cooling and heating system could last up to at least 10 years if it’s well maintained.
While it may require some minor repairs and parts replacement from time to time, proper maintenance will prevent you from spending a few thousand dollars to get a new AC or HVAC unit.
A typical maintenance service would include cleaning the condenser and a series of check-ups to make sure that everything on your system is working properly.
For a regular maintenance service on an AC unit, the cost would typically run from $75 to $200. For an entire HVAC system, the maintenance cost is around $150 to $500.
Do you want to know how much it will maintain or repair your AC or HVAC unit? Same Day Pros can help you find the most affordable service provider in your area.
Heating AC Repair: Why Should You Call Professionals?
Heating and cooling systems are vital components of most homes in the U.S. In 2015, 84% of houses in America have some kind of air conditioning system.
These systems are probably one of the most used appliances in a home, as they account for 48% of the total energy use of a typical household.
To say the least, ACs or HVACs are something that you absolutely can’t do without. They keep you nice and cozy at home despite the extreme weather conditions outside.
Imagine how uncomfortable you will be if your heater suddenly stops working in the middle of winter?
There are a lot of reasons why your AC or HVAC breaks down. One of the top reasons is improper or irregular maintenance. Without a proper check-up, your unit may not be as efficient as it should be.
If you’ve been facing issues with your heating and cooling systems, then it’s advisable to have them repaired or replaced.
That said, whether you’re looking to have your systems fixed or replaced, it’s best to get in touch with a local AC repair company to let an expert solve the problem.
Additional Tips in Maintaining Your AC:
Besides having an expert help you maintain your air conditioning unit, there are some things you can do, such as:
- Making sure that you change or clean your filter every 4-6 weeks. This is beneficial especially if there is someone in your household who suffers from asthma or allergies as this ensures that you have clean air in your home.
- Cleaning the air compressor unit outside your home (using a regular garden hose or broom will do).
- Ensuring that the air freely flows from the compressor by keeping things away from it.
Additional Tips in Maintaining Your Heating Unit:
- Before winter comes in, make sure that you test and check your heater to see if it’s working OK. If it isn’t producing warm air in your home, contact a professional to help you identify and fix the problem.
- Make sure to change your furnace filters yearly. Dirty or clogged filters will cause your unit to run less efficiently, or worse, could cause your unit to breakdown.
- Remove any obstruction on your vents to make sure that the warm air coming out from your unit is properly flowing.
- If you have a natural gas system, check the pilot light to see if the flame is clear blue. If the flame, however, is yellow or orange, it’s a sign that something is wrong with your unit.
Signs Your HVAC is Telling You that it Needs Professional Help
Especially when your HVAC unit is getting older, there may be times when you’ll notice small signs of a faulty system. These signs may be strange sounds or smells, reduced airflow or minor leaks.
However insignificant these warnings may be, do not ignore them! Because chances are, if you continue using your AC or heating unit without having them checked, you’ll probably end up with a bigger and much more expensive problem.
Listed below are some of the things that you should look out for. These are also good indicators that your unit is in dire need of a professional check-up as soon as possible.
- The unit is operating but there is no cool air or it does not produce enough cool air.
- The AC compressor is short-cycling. This means that it’s turning on and off rapidly, perhaps every few seconds or minutes rather than producing a normal on-cycle of 10 minutes or longer.
- The compressor makes an unusual noise upon turning the unit on.
- The coils are blocked or dirty or there’s frost building up.
- Your unit is producing a foul smell.
- When your energy bill suddenly increases.
To Replace or Repair? 3 Things You Can Consider
When winter or summer is nearing, as a homeowner, you should check whether your AC or HVAC unit is working properly. This is to ensure that you’ll have a comfortable temperature in your home.
But what do you do if your unit is showing faulty signs?
The best thing to do is to contact a reliable HVAC technician. This is so you can have an expert determine whether you have substantial issues with your unit or a simple repair can do the job.
If your heating or cooling unit does require major repairs, you may have to decide on whether to have it fixed or purchase a new system entirely.
Here are some considerations on deciding if it’s time to get a new AC or HVAC:
1. If Your HVAC or AC Unit is Over 10 Years Old
If your AC unit is more than 10 years old (over 15 years for a heating system) and is in need of major repairs, it is more recommended to replace it than to have it repaired.
According to Energy Star, getting new high-efficiency units can help you save up to 15%-20% on heating and cooling costs. So, if you want to get more of what you pay for your energy bill, getting a new system is definitely the way to go.
2. If Your Equipment Requires Frequent Repairs
When your cooling and heating system now requires more frequent repairs for it to operate, it would be better for you to replace it.
Although the cost of a replacement may seem bigger, your expenses on constant repairs will add up and the amount may just be equal to getting a new AC or HVAC unit.
3. If Your System Presents a Potential Safety Issue
Another important thing to consider is your household’s safety.
A faulty unit could lead to carbon monoxide poisoning or be a fire hazard, so an investment on a new system may not be a bad idea.
In addition, efficient HVAC or AC units can help improve your home’s air quality and also aid in reducing mold or mildew build-up.
Of course, there are instances when a repair will fix the problem and a replacement is not needed. That’s why it’s important to have a professional look at your unit so you can get the best out of the money that you will spend.
5 Reasons Why an AC or HVAC Repair is Not a DIY Job
Given that a regular AC or heater repair could cost a couple of hundred dollars, some homeowners don’t call a professional right away to save on costs.
What they don’t realize is that letting their AC or heating units run faulty can do more harm than good. It could even lead them to spend a lot more on repairs and replacements versus getting help from an HVAC service company from the start.
HVAC systems are quite complex and fixing them is not for an amateur. This is why experts strongly advise against tampering with the systems as it can lead to further damage and potential injury.
Why Should You Hire a Professional Heating/AC Repair Company?
1. Protect your warranty -If you purchased your heating or cooling system from a reliable manufacturer, then it’s highly possible that your unit came with a warranty.
A warranty assures you that you can get your systems repaired for free if anything goes wrong during the warranty period.
However, this warranty will be voided if you get your system repaired by an unlicensed technician or if you choose to fix the problem yourself.
If you do lose your warranty and something goes wrong, this means you have to pay for the repair or replacement from your own pocket.
2. Keep your home safe – You could be placing yourself and your family at risk if you try to fix your heating or AC units on your own. That’s because improper work on these systems could risk a fire or carbon monoxide poisoning.
Keep in mind that these systems also involve risks such as high electrical voltage. Only a trained HVAC technician will know how to safely work on your unit despite these risks.
3. Special equipment is required – More often than not, maintenance and repair of heating and cooling systems will require specialized tools and equipment that only trained technicians know how to use.
And no, duct tape is not always the solution to solving leaks or other issues with your AC.
4. Ensure your unit is running efficiently – If, for example, you got lucky and you were able to get your AC working again to produce some cool air, there’s a huge chance that it is not operating in optimum efficiency.
When this happens, your unit is actually not energy-efficient and you’re paying more on energy bills just to keep the air in your home cool enough.
Also, if your unit continues to run below standard due to poor repair or maintenance, it could result in you spending more on repairs or even a replacement unit.
5. Save time and money – When you hire a professional to do the job, this will ensure that your system is up and running in a fraction of time versus getting a handyman or doing the repairs yourself.
Also, if you do decide to repair your AC or heating unit on your own, this means you will need all the necessary tools and equipment to fix your systems. This is something you may want to consider, especially if you really want to save on costs in repairing your air conditioning or heating unit.
Do you want to find HVAC service technicians already working in your area? Simply type in your Zip Code and Same Day Pros will help you locate one in your neighborhood.
Duties of an AC or HVAC Technician
What should you expect from a Professional Heating / AC Repair Technician?
If you do decide to hire an HVAC or AC repair company, here are some of the things that you can expect them to check and do during their visit:
- Check the thermostat settings to make sure that your air conditioning system keeps you comfortable when you are home and saves energy while you are away
- Lubricate all moving parts
- Tighten all electrical connections and measure voltage and current on motors
- Inspect condensate drain in the furnace, central AC, and heat pump
- Check controls of the system to ensure proper and safe operation
Specifically for ACs
- Clean evaporator and condenser air conditioning coils
- Measure AC refrigerant level
- Adjust blower components
Tips When Hiring an HVAC or AC Repair Company
What should you check before hiring an HVAC or AC technician?
- License – Check if the company has the required permits and licenses.
- Proof of Insurance – Ask for proof of workman’s compensation and liability insurance.
- Business Stability – Ideally, an HVAC company that has proven years’ of experience is a better option.
- Check Reviews Online – Look for reviews. Oftentimes, this is the best way to confirm a company’s authenticity. You can also directly ask the company for references which you can check.
- 24-hour Emergency Service – It is always good to hire a company that provides 24-hour emergency service, especially if your AC or HVAC is essential in your home.
- Ask for Estimates – Ask the company for a free estimate. Most companies will give you a quotation as well as the time required to complete the job.
- Safety Record – Repairing or replacing heating or AC systems is a risky job. So check the company’s safety record.
If you want to contact an HVAC or Air Conditioner Repair Company near your area, just type in your Zip Code and Same Day Pros will help you find the right one for the job.