Did you know that asphalt shingles is one of the most commonly used materials while roof installation?
When you install new shingles, you can save a lot of time and money, plus get an entirely new look.
What’s more is that you can keep your roof in perfect condition by fixing and maintaining it from time to time.
You can install roof shingles on your own by following specific instructions or even contact a professional roofing company.
The best part about asphalt shingles is that it works with several kinds of roofs such as sheds, hip roofs or even garages.
Laying the Groundwork
You need to build proper groundwork and get shingles delivered directly to the roof. If you see that the slope of the roof and shingles can slide off, the best way is to scatter the shingles that will help you reach them quickly.
You should also figure out how many asphalt shingles are needed to fit on your roof. Place, attach, align and adjust shingles accordingly. So plan a proper layout and fix the roof design and style.
You also need to understand how the physics of roofing works in terms of the effect of gravity on asphalt roofing shingles.
Deck preparation is a must for installing roofing materials!
Here are 13 steps that will help install asphalt shingles on your roof.
- When you install asphalt shingles, start from the lowermost corner and go to the right. You also need to start from the lower to the higher side.
- You need to check the valleys and other places to see if there are any leaks and penetration before roof installation.
- You should use the same bundle to avoid having different colors and shades.
- The best way to install asphalt shingles is to do it over plywood.
- You need to check what kind of nail you can use with asphalt shingle. Galvanized steel or corrosion resistant nails should be the ideal choice.
- The best part about asphalt shingles is only four nails are enough at times and fixing only one side is good enough.
- If you are installing asphalt shingles in a place with adverse weather conditions, you may need to use six nails.
- For areas with strong wind, you have to make sure that nails are not placed too high or too low.
- You should install shingles over existing shingles that will help you save big bucks.
- Install a waterproof underlayer to be extra sure. It will help protect roof in the long run.
- It is always recommended that you use only aluminum flashings in case of asphalt shingles.
- Ice and water barrier should be installed in the valleys to save roof from freezing and collection of moisture.
- You need to install asphalt roofing shingles around vents.
Staying safe is a significant part of roof installation. You need to stay safe and use the right tools.
If you are struggling with installing asphalt roofing shingles, you can look for local roof installation companies in Dallas. Check out the list of service professionals listed on Same Day Pros.