We don’t like introductions. We like being to the point and ensuring that you read what’s important. Ensuring electrical safety at your home is important. You need to remind yourselves of things you’re doing wrong and things you’re not cautious about (which you must). Here’s a post that will serve as a reminder or an eye-opener.
Electrical Safety Tips
1. Regularly check the cords
Don’t you say that you don’t have electric wires lying here and there in your home? They’re probably lying scattered all over your home (unless you’re a cleanliness freak) and are causing your family a risk. Cuts in cords can lead to electric shocks. To avoid that, ensure you recurrently check the wires and replace the one with cuts. Don’t remove the third prong from a cord. Its very existence is to prevent electrical shock.
2. Go for GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters) Outlets
Any outlet near a source of water must be a GFCI one. Why? Because this kind of circuits have an automatic cut-off system that prevents shock when the plugged in device comes in contact with water or if there’s just an electricity leak. GFCI circuits are a must in kitchen, basement, bathroom, laundry and outdoor areas.
3. Avoid overloading and overheating
That socket which has like five appliances plugged in is probably the biggest risk your family is facing in the house. It can easily malfunction because of overloading. Same is with the naive way you adopted to hide those ugly wires. Keeping them under the carpet can be dangerous for your toddler or pet as it leads to overheating of wires.
4. Check if switches are heating up
It is possible that your house is already on fire. Hot outlets and switches are a sign that there’s something seriously wrong in the wiring, and it might have already ignited a fire between the walls. Immediately, get a professional local electrician who is licensed to fix this issue.
5. Eliminate exposed wiring
Don’t get us wrong! You don’t need to remove that wiring. But you certainly need to adjust the outlet covers which are either missing or broken and exposing those dangerous wires.
6. Follow the obvious electrical safety procedures
Touching the electrical outlets with wet hands is most likely to cause a minor shock. Don’t wait for something serious to happen. That’s a big enough cause to be careful. Be attentive while handling your phone and laptop chargers. Don’t leave them plugged in. Although it is minor, they do cause electrical shocks, so be careful!
7. Follow the signs
For practicing electrical safety, it’s important that you start believing in signs. In many cases of electrical house fires, people could tell what caused a fire in their home. That’s because they had been ignoring that issue since so much time. Being too optimistic is bad. You must make sure that things like circuit breaking, mild shocks, heating up of wires and fuse blowouts don’t go unnoticed. If it happens twice, immediately call for help!
Share this piece of information if you think your friends deserve to know about practicing electrical safety at home. We hope this helped!