Do you want a bug free home? What are the most cost-effective and environment-friendly methods to make it possible? What kind of things you can do by yourself for home pest control?
If you're looking for solutions for pest control, you're at the right place. Pests cause much more than the sheer inconvenience. They cause diseases. In no time, your house can become a fertile breeding ground for pests and illnesses. To avoid that, you must know the following methods for DIY home pest control.
How To prevent the pests?
We're going to begin with some general methods you can use to avoid having pests around your home. And then we will discuss DIY methods to treat certain kinds of pest infestations.
1. Bug Repelling Cleaning solution: this is the easiest and one of the most effective ways to keep the pests at bay. An equal mixture of vinegar and water is a fantastic cleaning solution that must be used to clean kitchen shelves and sinks. It helps to remove the odor and particles in the kitchen that attract insects.
2. Fix leaky faucets and clean the drains regularly: Do you know that insects get attracted towards water? They require water to survive, and if you have a leaky faucet, you're inviting the bugs in your house. Better call a plumbing service before it's too late.
Also, make sure that the kitchen drains don't have food particles stuck in them. For thorough drain cleaning, try this: Mix half cup vinegar with the same portion of baking soda and pour it down the drains. After five minutes, pour hot water and viola! You would have a real clean pipe.
3. Don't leave food out in the open: Make sure you store food in airtight containers or just close the lid tightly. That would prevent bugs from getting attracted to your kitchen because of the food.
4. Use insect repellent plants: Plants like citronella and catnip repel insects and are a perfect way to add some greenery to your house and also work on home pest control.
How to treat a pest infested home?
What if it's too late? What if you're already facing an army of bugs ready to give you nightmares? In such a situation, you would need these tried and tested DIY home pest control methods.
1. All purpose spray: Take 2 tbsp of liquefied peppermint castile soap and mix it in a gallon of water. Store it in a spray can. Use this mixture on counter tops and around the drains. Repeat if required.
2. Dealing with ants: To prevent ants from entering your house every time you drop a piece of food on the floor, pour grounded coffee or salt on your doors and windows. Soon, they will know that trying to enter your house is a lost war.
3. Dealing with fruit flies: Apple cider vinegar is the magic ingredient for this task. Fruit flies get attracted to apple cider vinegar. If some fruit flies have entered your home, pour some of the liquid in a glass and cover it with a plastic wrap. Poke small holes in the wrap and soon you will see the effect.
4. Dealing with spiders: Vinegar repels spiders. Do we need to say anything more? Vinegar is like your best weapon for home pest control.
5. Dealing with cockroaches: As unbelievable it may sound, it is true that you can get rid of cockroaches by using beer. Pour some beer into a saucer and keep it in your kitchen or bathroom near the entry points.
6. Dealing with other wingless insects: Use boric acid. Boric acid repels this kind of insects and can save you from a heavy pest infestation.
These are the DIY ways for home pest control. Let us know if you try any of these methods and how effective they turn out to be for you. We love all of these. Do note that in case, your home is already facing heavy pest infestation, these methods won't be of good use. We recommend you to call for a professional pest control service in that case. You can find a lot of them on Same Day Pros. Give it a try!