The national average cost is for new carpet is $2.00-$8.00 per square foot+
The average cost to hire a local professional will average about $2.00-$8.00 per square foot+, with some consumers spending over $10.00 per square foot or more. So choosing the right professional the first time is of the essence.
The average cost to hire a local professional can vary widely depending on the work that needs to be performed, they region in which you are located and how fast you need the project completed. So choosing the right professional the first time is of the essence.
Flat Rate Per Job - Some companies charge a flat rate for the work they do.
Recognize that there are several variables in developing the price. These include:
- Time that it takes to complete the project.
- How many technicians are working on your project.
- Was it an after hours emergency
- With many more aspects that may add to the cost
Remember, the company quoting a low rate may not necessarily be the right company for you. Some companies may offer low hourly rates, but then charge additional "fees" to complete the job.
You may also need to consider that most companies charge a higher rate for overtime, weekends, holidays and emergency calls.
The best rule of hand is to get an itemized estimate so you know exactly what is expected from the local company.
Be prepared when shopping for your new carpet by know the terminology used by the carpet salesperson.
- Fiber is the carpet material itself. Single fibers are spun together to create two-, three- or four-ply yarn, which is then attached to a woven backing.
- Pile refers to the height of the fiber. Pile is also referred to as "face" or "nap."
- Density is the measure of how closely packed the strands of fiber are to one another. The higher the density, the stronger the carpet.
- Weight is measured in ounces per square yard. Face weight refers to the amount of fiber on the surface of the carpet, while total weight includes the backing and latex as well. High face weight is a good indication of quality.
- Texture comes from the style in which fibers are looped, twisted or cut. This determines the look and feel of the carpet, and plays a large role in its durability.
- Twist refers to the number of time fibers turn in a 1-inch length. Higher twist counts are typically more resilient and better resist traffic and crushing.
- PAR rating is a 1-5 rating scale for Performance, Appearance and Retention; the higher the number, the more easily it retains its appearance.
Tips & Advice
Ask For The License - Ask for all local and state business licenses.
Proof Of Insurance- For your own protection, check proof of both workman's compensation and liability Insurance.
Business Stability- Find out how long the company has been in business.
Check Online Reviews - You're probably not the first person in town looking for their services. Rely on the internet to get reviews written by people in your community.
References - Expect any top-notch company to be able to provide you with references upon request. Once you have these names, contact the clients to get information about the quality service. When you call, ask questions about the work, timeliness, cost and whether the clients would use the company again for future work.
24-hour Emergency Service - Make sure your local company offers emergency 24 hour service. If something goes wrong, it's good to know that you will not have to wait days for them to come out and fix it.
Over The Phone Pricing - Honest estimates simply cannot be given over the phone - especially if you aren't talking with an actual technician when you call.
Free Estimates - Most companies offer free estimates. This is important because they can provide you with the costs upfront, so that you are not shocked with a bill after the services are completed.
Safety Record - Safety can be a significant factor, so ask the company about their safety records to ensure that any service professional you hire has a satisfactory safety record. You want a company that doesn’t have a high incidence of on-the-job mishaps or injuries.
Satisfaction Guarantee - Choosing a company that offers a satisfaction guarantee will ensure that they will get the job done right the first time and will save you money and frustration in the long run.
Cleanup - The mess left behind after a project can be major. Ask what cleanup work the company includes with it's services.