The national average cost is $750+
The average cost to hire a local professional will average about $750 - $1500+ with some consumers spending over $1500 or more. So choosing the right professional the first time is of the essence.
Exterior paint averages $30-$60 a gallon, and an average size home takes 15 or more gallons of paint, or $375-$600 just for the paint.
Premium paint can cost $60-$110 a gallon, or $750-$1,500 for average size homes.
When hiring an exterior painting contractor, paint and supplies make up about 20 percent of the cost, while 80 percent goes for labor. Costs typically average $1,500-$3,500 for an average single-story, three-bedroom home, but easily run $3,000-$6,000 or more for a multi-story or multi-level larger house.
Hourly Rate - Most companies charge by the hour.
Flat Rate Per Job - Some companies charge a flat rate for the work they do.
Recognize that there are several variables in developing the price. These include:
- Time that it takes to complete the project.
- How many painters are working on your project.
- With many more aspects that may add to the cost
Remember, the company quoting a low rate may not necessarily be the right company for you. Some companies may offer low hourly rates, but then charge additional "fees" to complete the job.
You may also need to consider that most companies charge a higher rate for overtime, weekends, holidays and emergency calls.
The best rule of hand is to get an itemized estimate so you know exactly what is expected from the local company.
Get a minimum of 3 estimates
When you receive exterior painting estimates, they should fall roughly within the same price range. If estimates differ widely from one another, ask what is not being done or where corners are being cut.
Questions To Ask Your Local Exterior Painting Company
- How long have you been in business?
- Can I see your business licenses?
- Can I see your insurance and bonding information?
- Are you a member of any national or local painting contractors' associations?
- Do you subcontract your work or perform it yourself?
- Can you provide references (at least 3)?
- Will I hear loud music, objectionable language or find cigarette butts in my yard?
- Do you offer written guarantees of your work?
- What products do you use?
- Will my property be protected?
Review the Contract
Once you've settled on a quality exterior painting company, ask for a written contract and review it carefully. As a consumer, you have the right to ask detailed questions about any issues you need clarified. In particular, be sure to verify the following:
- What exactly is being painted
- Details on preparation and cleanup
- Paint colors for each area to be painted
- How the contractor will protect plants, patios, furniture, or other items
- How much time the project will take, from start to finish
- What are the hours the exterior painters will be working
- What is the completion date?
- When and how the contractor will be paid
Signs Of A Good Exterior Painting Company
- Do they project a sense of professionalism and experience?
- Are they courteous and businesslike?
- Are they busy (Good exterior painting companies usually are)?
- Do they return phone calls and provide estimates in a timely manner?
- Are on time for appointments?
Steps Of the Exterior Painting Process
Areas should either power washed or hand washed to remove dirt and mildew.
All loose paint is scraped and all glossy areas are scuff sanded. All gaps should be caulked to prevent water intrusion.
Repaired areas are primed and premium paint is applied to a uniform finish.
Clean up should be done daily, as well as at the completion of work. Paint chips are removed and all our materials are packed up and stored neatly.
You should be invited to inspect the work
Ask For The License - Ask for all local and state business licenses.
Proof Of Insurance- For your own protection, check proof of both workman's compensation and liability Insurance.
Business Stability- Find out how long the company has been in business.
Check Online Reviews - You're probably not the first person in town looking for their services. Rely on the internet to get reviews written by people in your community.
References - Expect any top-notch company to be able to provide you with references upon request. Once you have these names, contact the clients to get information about the quality service. When you call, ask questions about the work, timeliness, cost and whether the clients would use the company again for future work.
24-hour Emergency Service - Make sure your local company offers emergency 24 hour service. If something goes wrong, it's good to know that you will not have to wait days for them to come out and fix it.
Over The Phone Pricing - Honest estimates simply cannot be given over the phone - especially if you aren't talking with an actual technician when you call.
Free Estimates - Most companies offer free estimates. This is important because they can provide you with the costs upfront, so that you are not shocked with a bill after the services are completed.
Safety Record - Safety can be a significant factor, so ask the company about their safety records to ensure that any service professional you hire has a satisfactory safety record. You want a company that doesn’t have a high incidence of on-the-job mishaps or injuries.
Building Codes- In certain areas you'll need to make sure that the local company meets all building code requirements.
Satisfaction Guarantee - Choosing a company that offers a satisfaction guarantee will ensure that they will get the job done right the first time and will save you money and frustration in the long run.
Cleanup - The mess left behind after a project can be major. Ask what cleanup work the company includes with it's services.