Everyone’s experienced that grim sensation of rushing out to the car in the morning only to discover that it won’t start, or being stuck in the mall parking lot or on the side of the highway. Not only have you lost your means of transportation, but you’ve got to deal with all the logistics of having the vehicle towed to a repair shop, then finding your way back home or to work.
In this Internet age where you can have practically anything shipped right to your door, car repairs don’t have to be stuck in the stone age. Locating a reputable full-service auto service shop, driving to it or having your vehicle towed, waiting hours, having your vehicle out of commission for days… this is very inconvenient to say the least.
A local professional mobile mechanic come to you. Whether your car is broke down on the side of the road or in the supermarket parking lot, or you multi-tasking this chore while working or cleaning the home a mobile mechanic can get it done for you.
Mobile mechanics are a relatively recent industry that many people are only now hearing about, despite having been around in major metropolitan areas for almost a decade.
Wondering about the benefits of hiring a mobile mechanic?
The team at Same Day Pros is here to help with an in-depth overview of how mobile mechanics work, and whether it’s worthwhile for your situation.
In the age of deliveries right to your door and busy schedules that leave you exhausted at the end of the day, it’s no surprise that mechanics have caught onto the trend and begun a new industry that helps bring the mechanic to you, rather than having you come to them whenever you need help.
Next time you’re looking for a mobile mechanic near me, turn to Same Day Pros to find your answer.
The genius idea is only now starting to gain popularity, however, as the services expand into even more metropolitan areas across the United States.
Learn more about mobile mechanic services and whether it’s the right fit for your situation in this article.
A lot of people still go to the dealership to get their car’s routine maintenance done, but in today’s busy world, most of us just don’t have time anymore.
Have you ever considered a mobile mechanic vs. dealership mechanic?
Average Costs Of A Mobile Mechanic
Average costs are dependent on the services that you are receiving.
Unlike dealerships and privately owned auto service shops, mobile mechanics do not have overhead. On most services, they can save you 20-30%. That’s in addition to providing you a convenient service!
Hourly Rate – Some companies charge by the hour.
Flat Rate Per Job – Some companies charge a flat rate for the work they do.
Recognize that there are several variables in developing the price. These include:
- Time that it takes to complete the project.
- How many technicians are working on your project.
- Was it an after hours emergency
- With many more aspects that may add to the cost
Remember, the company quoting a low rate may not necessarily be the right company for you. Some companies may offer low hourly rates, but then charge additional “fees” to complete the job.
You may also need to consider that most companies charge a higher rate for overtime, weekends, holidays and emergency calls.
The best rule of hand is to get an itemized estimate so you know exactly what is expected from the local company.
Advice On Finding The Right Mobile Mechanic
Do Not Pay For Parts
Never pay for parts before the job is done. Remember, most mobile mechanics are very honest but you still want to be careful not to get swindled.
The Job May Be Too Big
Most mobile mechanics can change your oil or fix your brakes, and they may be willing to take on the challenge of changing your head gaskets, but do they have the right tools for the job.
Spotting Fly By Night Companies
- Do they have a legitimate website?
- Do they accept credit cards?
- What kind of tools are they using?
Guarantees And Warranties?
Ask what kind of warranty they offer on the work they are doing. Warranties will vary from company to company. Some parts only have a 90 day warranty, whereas some parts may be guaranteed for life for the rest of the life of your car.
Paying By The Hour
This is a tricky one, most mobile mechanics charge you by the job. Some will charge you by the hour, if so, keep a wary eye on them to ensure they are not padding the time spent on the auto repair.
Ratings And Reviews
Check for online ratings and reviews Reviews are not always accurate, as competitors, friends, or even business owners themselves will sometimes post reviews in order to sway results. If there are several reviews over a period of time, it is normally more relevant than if several that came in within a couple of days of one another.
Ask your mobile mechanic for at least three referrals and check them out.
Ask your family, friends, and neighbors if they have any suggestions for a mobile mechanic company.
Some Services Of A Mobile Mechanic
- No Starts
- Fleet Service
- General Maintenance
- Computer Diagnostics
- General Repair
- A/C Service Starters & Alternators
- Tune Ups
- Water Pumps
- Fuel Pumps
- Timing Belts
- Gaskets, Belts, Hoses
- And Much More…..
Mobile Mechanic Education
Many programs and schools offer training for those interested in a career as a mobile mechanic. Areas of training include automobile diagnostic, repair and maintenance of engine, electronics, air-conditioning and heating systems, and truck and diesel mechanics.
Some mechanics are ASE certified, which is a standardized method of testing skill and knowledge level. While it’s not required by law for a mechanic to be certified, some companies only hire or promote employees who have passed ASE tests. The technology used in automobiles changes very rapidly and the mechanic must be prepared to learn these new technologies and systems. Your mechanic has a physically demanding job, often exposed to extreme temperatures, lifting heavy objects and staying in uncomfortable positions for extended periods. They also deal with exposure to gasoline, asbestos, and other toxic chemicals.
The Internet is even spreading to mechanics, with certified mechanics providing advice online. Mechanics themselves now regularly use the Internet for information to help them in diagnosing and/or repairing vehicles. Service manuals for vehicles have become significantly less prevalent with the internet taking their place.
Benefits Of Hiring A Mobile Mechanic
Generally, mobile auto repair professional tend to charge lower rates than the conventional repair shops because their operating costs are significantly less.
Individuals who specialize in mobile repair services recognize that being friendly & understanding is an important asset in the job. As a result, they focus on providing the best customer service and establishing good relationships with their clients.
Can Save Your Time
Another benefit of hiring mobile mechanics for auto repair is that it can help you avoid time wasting time. When you call your repair service, they’ll come directly to your home or workplace and do the work quickly so that you get back on the road in the shortest time possible.No more auto service shop waiting rooms
Fix The Majority Of Your Auto Issues At Your Location
Mobile mechanics are able to perform an array of auto repairs including electrical repairs, maintenance, a/c repairs, engine repairs and transmission issues. They are also able to diagnose more complex issues and arrange for your vehicle to be taken to a garage for repair.
Tips & Advice
- Ask For The License – Ask for all local and state business licenses.
- Proof Of Insurance– For your own protection, check proof of both workman’s compensation and liability Insurance.
- Business Stability– Find out how long the company has been in business.
- Check Online Reviews – You’re probably not the first person in town looking for their services. Rely on the internet to get reviews written by people in your community.
- References – Expect any top-notch company to be able to provide you with references upon request. Once you have these names, contact the clients to get information about the quality service. When you call, ask questions about the work, timeliness, cost and whether the clients would use the company again for future work.
- 24-hour Emergency Service – Make sure your local company offers emergency 24 hour service. If something goes wrong, it’s good to know that you will not have to wait days for them to come out and fix it.
- Over The Phone Pricing – Honest estimates simply cannot be given over the phone – especially if you aren’t talking with an actual technician when you call.
- Free Estimates – Most companies offer free estimates. This is important because they can provide you with the costs upfront, so that you are not shocked with a bill after the services are completed.
- Safety Record – Safety can be a significant factor, so ask the company about their safety records to ensure that any service professional you hire has a satisfactory safety record. You want a company that doesn’t have a high incidence of on-the-job mishaps or injuries.
- Satisfaction Guarantee – Choosing a company that offers a satisfaction guarantee will ensure that they will get the job done right the first time and will save you money and frustration in the long run.
- Cleanup – The mess left behind after a project can be major. Ask what cleanup work the company includes with it’s services.