Can Water Damage Cause Mold?
Yes. Water damage is the leading cause of mold growth. Mold requires moisture, food source (drywall, organic dust, carpet) and warm temperatures to thrive. If you just remove the moisture, you can prevent mold growth. Thus, it increases the importance of dealing with water damage restoration professionals within few hours.
Tips On Water Damage Untill Help Arrives From The Company:
Let’s say you’re caught in the unlucky situation of water flooding. Instead of just waiting for the professional from the company to arrive, you must do these tasks to quicken the process.
- If possible, stop the water at its source.
- Turn off the electricity if it is safe to do so.
- Avoid walking on wet carpet.
- Remove small furnishings from carpeted areas.
- Place aluminum foil under larger furniture legs.
- Hang draperies.
- Pin up furniture skirts to avoid contact with wet floors.
- Remove any breakables.
- Remove moisture-sensitive items.
- Remove any items that may stain floor coverings.
- Check under the beds and other furnishings.
- Plan to move furniture into dry areas.
- Wash your hands after handling damaged items.
- Do not use home vacuum or shop vacuum to remove the water.
- Do not use the heater or air conditioner this may speed up the problem.
Do you want to know, how the whole process takes place to keep a check on the company you’ve hired? Here’s what you need to know.
Removing The Water
First, extraction equipment is used to remove the water physically. Water is then extracted from carpets, padding and upholstery. In some cases, the carpet and padding would need to be removed completely for drying.
Air movers quicken the drying process. They regulate humidity in a region and promote air circulation. It helps to get rid of liquids from permeable products like carpet, drywall, wood, etc.
Dehumidifiers/ Desiccant Dehumidification
They’re are used to remove moisture from the air. It allows extraction of water that stick around in certain areas. These are of two types. First is refrigerant dehumidifiers that work under the concept of cooling the involving air. When this takes place, the air loses its capability to maintain water and thus triggers condensation upon the cooling coils of the devices.
Second is desiccant dehumidifiers that use materials that naturally soak up moisture. The type of devices used depends on which company you hire.
What’s more important than everything else is to hire a reputable and trustworthy company for this task. Use Same Day Pros for finding trained professionals in your locality.